TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Set up the app for Amazon Echo
2. Set up Amazon Echo voice control
Three voice assistants currently dominate the market: The Google Assistant (Google), Siri (Apple), and the voice assistant Alexa, the voice of the Amazon Echo. With their help, the light can be switched on and off, the heating regulated and the weather forecast checked by voice command. We explain how to set up Amazon Echo in our blog.
With just a few steps and our instructions, you can set up your Amazon Echo and use it to control your intelligent home a little later using voice commands. Before you start: Connect the power adapter for Amazon Echo and plug it into the socket. The smart speaker does not have a battery and therefore needs to be powered at all times to function properly.
Don’t have an Amazon Echo but use Google home? Then you will find what you are looking for in our article How to Connect Echo Dot to WiFi.
Set up the app for Amazon Echo
To set up and use Amazon Echo, you need the latest version of the “Amazon Alexa” app, which is available free of charge for Android smartphones and tablets and iPhones and iPads. The application can be used to manage shopping lists, voice commands, music, and more. Those who prefer to handle the organization and administration with the PC can do this in all common Internet browsers.
1 . Download the “Amazon Alexa” app free from the Google Playstore or the Apple Appstore. PC users access the web application.
2 . Open the app and log in with your Amazon account. PC users also log in to the browser with their Amazon data.
Android and iOS users will find everything they need to manage Alexa in the top left Menu. In addition, various functions are available to PC users on the left edge of the screen, which can be configured separately.
Set up Amazon Echo voice control
As soon as you have downloaded the Alexa app and ensured the power supply of the smart speaker, nothing stands in the way of the configuration:
1 . Turn on Amazon Echo and wait for the light ring to turn blue and orange. Alexa welcomes you now.
2. (Smartphone and tablet) Connect your Amazon Echo to the WLAN. To do this, tap Settings > Device settings > [Select device] > Change in the Alexa app. There you select your WLAN network and enter the corresponding password.
3. (Computer) In the Alexa online portal, click Settings > Set up a new device > [Select Echo model] > Next > Next. Now go to the WLAN settings on your computer and look for a network called “Amazon-XXX”. (Instead of “XXX” there is an individual number). Click on it and connect.
4. It is best to give your Amazon Echo an individual device name. This is useful if you want to set up more than one smart speaker. You can find the option in the app under Menu> Settings > [Device Name] and on the PC under Settings > Devices > [Device Name] > Device Name.
The setup of Alexa is now complete, and you can address her with “Alexa”. An alternative activation word can be set via the app (under Devices > Activation word ) so that the smart speaker also reacts to other calls. If you want, you can also connect Amazon Echo to an external speaker. This works via Bluetooth or an audio cable. For example, Alexa can be paired with the home stereo system. Each additional Amazon Echo can be set up in the same way. Once you have connected them to the app or web application, the smart speakers are automatically linked to each other so that you can make calls or send messages from one device to another.
Need help figuring out what to ask Alexa? In the blog article, Alexa has humor – funny questions for the voice assistant; we tell you which funny answers the voice assistant knows. In addition, you will find useful Alexa commands in the article Alexa: This is how Amazon’s language assistant supports you.